Tuesday, June 3, 2008

MythTV upgrade transfer

I recently switched my MythTV computer out to a newer one, mostly because the new one is a dell and it much much quieter than the old one. There were two things I wanted to do to use this new computer. I wanted to transfer all my old recordings, and I wanted to transfer the database that tells mythtv what shows I have already recorded, what I have marked for recording and all that stuff. The first was easy I just hooked my hard drive up through USB and copied over all my recordings. The second took quite a bit of effort. I found a site (after quite a bit of searching) that walked me through it but I still had some issues.

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5

This was EXTREMELY helpful in getting my database transfered to the new computer. But there were a couple of things needed to figure out.

I didn't know the password for the database, but I think it was in /home/[username]/.mythtv/mysql.txt

I also copied over my whole home directory folder. For those that don't know almost all your installed program configurations and everything is installed into home.

Also in the tutorial linked above had two ways of getting data from your backup of sql data, and the second worked for me not the first. To sum up the link above these are the commands I used.



$ mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg -c > mythtv_backup.sql
$ grep "INSERT INTO \`record\` " mythtv_backup.sql > restore.sql
$ grep "INSERT INTO \`recorded\` " mythtv_backup.sql >> restore.sql
$ grep "INSERT INTO \`oldrecorded\` " mythtv_backup.sql >> restore.sql
$ grep "INSERT INTO \`recordedprogram\` " mythtv_backup.sql >> restore.sql
$ grep "INSERT INTO \`recordedrating\` " mythtv_backup.sql >> restore.sql
$ grep "INSERT INTO \`recordedmarkup\` " mythtv_backup.sql >> restore.sql
$ grep "INSERT INTO \`recordedseek\` " mythtv_backup.sql >> restore.sql




Then to restore data type this on the new computer after moving the restore
file to it.



$ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg <>


Thanks and God bless,
aaron

No comments: